Melbourne, January 16 (QNA) - Australian player Nick Kyrgios announced his withdrawal from the Australian Open tennis tournament, due to a knee injury today, ending Australia's hopes of winning the men's singles for the first time in 47 years.
The 27-year-old Australian, runner-up at Wimbledon last year and a quarter-finalist at last year's US Open, said he was "devastated" to have to withdraw after entering his country's Grand Slam as one of the favorites to win the title.
"Of course I'm very disappointed," Kyrgios told reporters at Melbourne Park. "This is one of the most important tournaments of my career. It wasn't easy at all." The withdrawal also means that Kyrgios and compatriot Tanasi Kokkinakis will not be able to defend their men's doubles titles after winning at Melbourne Park last year. (QNA)